"The first toast is to peace"


I am writing this review with rather mixed feelings. I was looking forwards to reading this book about travels in the Caucasus, a rather off the beaten track region still coming to terms with the turmoils of post-Soviet statehood and ethnic tensions.  I was hoping for a book combining information and descriptions of the spectacular landscape, the diverse cultures and insights into the current situation in Georgia, Armenia or Azerbaidshan. Having read the book, I feel a bit disappointed, especially after learning the author is a long-time Reuters journalist.

Because yes, this is nice easy reading, dropping a bit on local winemaking and “delightful people” met on the travel. Bits on sightseeing and hiking treks, but they remain a bit vague, not really all that different from the just-scratching-the-surface descriptions of tourist guidebooks.  I would have been interested in more details, color, atmosphere.

Stephen Powell does write a bit on the geopolitical aspects of the region he travels in, he does quote Transparency International on corruption and the Comitee to Protect Journalists on press freedom – but that is about as deep as he gets to real analysis.  His insights into political realities stem from conversations with hostel owners and cab drivers, chance encounters or a 15 minutes chat – hardly enough to realistically describe a very complex region.  I could ignore that from a blogger who just doesn´t know any better, but someone who has worked for many years with an international news agency should still be aware of how to research a story.

Maybe I am to blame because I expected more and this book was merely intended to be something light on a part of the world still less traveled. I certainly was not bored, but I would I would have liked something with more depth.

Stephen Powell, The First Toast is to Peace. Travels in the South Caucasus
Silverwood Books, 2018
186 pages
 978-1781327258

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Slow Horses im Schneegestöber - Mick Herron glänzt erneut

Kinderwunsch - aber koscher!

Das Leben kommt immer dazwischen